Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Self-portrait


Self-portrait, oil on canvas panel, approx. 6x4 in.

8/13. Throughout this process the mirror has become my best friend. I use one to see what I'm working on from a new perspective, in order to help correct basic mistakes in massing, lighting and drawing. It was while thinking about that that I decided to paint myself and leave aside the jam jar and knife I'd set up. I used to be able to crank out a fairly decent self-portrait between 1 and 3 am for next class, back in the day. I don't remember the last one I did recently.

This panel was another one I oil primed and, while I didn't let the paint get to me too badly, I worked on it longer than I meant to and it started to feel sticky and waxy, in the end making it feel like I was doing one of those funerary portraits from Roman Egypt. Except those are infinitely more elegant.

No comments: