Monday, November 5, 2007

Granny Smith #3

Granny Smith #3
11/4: Granny Smith #3, oil on linen panel, 6x5 in.

So I've been trying some linen by Old Holland that comes in sheets in a pad, which I've stuck onto a panel. I don't know anything about the different grains of linen, but this one says "Extra Fine" ("Excellent for Portraiture" etc.) so I guess it's like the smooth "type 13" that people swear by. I liked it the first couple of times I used it but this time it seemed too slick, like I had one too many wet layers on it or something, and I was fighting to keep the paint from lifting off entirely. Probably something I'm doing, because despite that it's pretty good stuff. If anyone has experience with the types "13" or "66" linen please send me your thoughts, it would be very much appreciated!

No comments: